29 April 2010

"A Photograph of Myself" by Seth Landman


In its vicinity
I was remarkable
more than I was
symmetrical

I was conducted
in language
permitted to pass
imaginary pollution

I seemed imaginary
most days I had
no vestige of a beard
remarkable wrinkles

I was completely
overlapping with myself
the idea was
by any means

to detach from
a commotion
that I could not
answer to quiet

those emotions
I could not calm
I thought
I heard myself

growing louder
in alarm there were
radiating lines
around me growing

nearer gradually
I heard the sleep
alarm in the midst
of a dream I was

covered in blood
and carried into
a temple I was
wiping away I guess

time was getting
so long I seized
upon myself feeling
nothing but the feeling

of my skull
the whole face
giving room and air
removing the head

which now lay
before me
like a mountain
my guide paused

we did not know
where we were
my first impulse
was to rise

I had to rally
I had just ascended
to look behind
for my enemies

but they were afraid
and my body saw
my body and I saw that was
sufficient to provoke them